Inmate Information Request a Record HCSO Permits File a Complaint Useful Links Recruitment Contact Us Search
En Español
Q:Do inmates receive medical care/prescription medication in jail?
A: Yes, all inmates are medically screened at the Inmate Processing Center (IPC) before being housed. Inmates requiring immediate medical care are sent to be evaluated by the on duty physician or they are sent to the hospital. The screening nurse will also inquire concerning all prescription medications.

Q:Where do I pick up an inmate being released?
A: Inmates being released will exit the IPC through the northwest sally port at 1201 Commerce St. in downtown Houston.

Q: How do inmates release their property to a designee?
A: In order for an inmate to release his/her property, they must complete a form requesting to have their property released. This request form should be given to the night shift supervisor on the inmate’s housing floor. A “Property Release Card” will then be completed. The supervisor will make a photocopy of the card and return the copy to the prisoner so he/she can mail it to the person they are authorizing to claim their property. Once the person receives the photocopy of the release card in the mail, they may pick up the property on the third floor of the Inmate Processing Center at 1201 Commerce Street. This property must be claimed no later than 30 days from the date on the card, 7 days a week, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Q: What do I need to claim an inmate’s property?
A: In order to pick up any type of property, you must have a valid government photo ID.

Q: Is an inmate allowed to get commissary?
A: Yes. The commissary stocks and sells a variety of items for inmate consumption. Each cellblock has a designated schedule for commissary delivery. An inmate is allowed to spend $150 once a week on commissary.

Q: Can I visit inmates housed outside of Harris County?
A: To visit inmates housed outside of Harris County, contact the appropriate housing facility for visitation date, times and procedures. The current out-of-county facilities being utilized by the HCSO are:
Newton County Correctional Facility
2402 East Court St
Newton, TX 75966
(409) 379-3000

LaSalle Correction Center
15976 Hwy. 165
Olla, LA 71465
(318) 495-6200

West Carroll Detention Center
180 Capital Bank Dr
Epps, LA 71237
(318) 926-4626

1201 Commerce Street
1201 Commerce Street
Houston, Texas 77002

View Larger Map