The Victim Assistance Unit of the Harris County Sheriff's Office is committed to providing a range of victim services that will positively impact the citizens of Harris County by assisting victims and survivors of violent crimes that occur in unincorporated Harris County.
The personnel in the Victim Assistance Unit are committed to helping protect the rights of crime victims and/or their families by ensuring that they are aware of their rights in accordance with the Texas Code of Criminal Procedures.
A victim liaison can provide assistance and referrals to victims and/or their families based on the specific needs of each situation. The Victim Assistance Unit works with various social service and legal agencies within Harris County as well as with the Office of the Attorney General, Crime Victims' Compensation.
Services provided by the Victim Assistance Unit include:
- • Criminal Justice Support
- • Liaison between law enforcement and crime victims
- • Information and referrals to local service providers
- • Informing victims of their rights
- • Community Awareness and presentations
- • Assistance with property return
- • Other services as needed
Personnel in the Victim Assistance Unit can provide services to victims and/or their families by telephone, appointment or walk-in. The assistance and referrals provided are based on the specific needs of each situation.